Intensive Summer Reading
In an effort to eliminate the gap of achievement between readers in our lower elementary grades, we are providing this intensive summer reading program for those students who exhibit a substantial deficiency in reading. According to Iowa law (SF 279.68) beginning in 2017, school districts will be required to provide an intensive summer reading program for any student between their 3rd and 4th grade year who exhibits a substantial deficiency in reading. We plan to offer that program in 2017 due to our status as a school in need of assistance for deficiencies in literacy.
An example schedule for the program will consist of:
- 8:30am: Breakfast snack
- 8:45am: Intensive Reading Instruction (West Virginia, Barton, or Benchmark small group)
- 9:45am: Break (aerobics or PE)
- 10:00am: Intensive Reading Instruction (West Virginia, Barton, or Benchmark small group)
- 10:30am: Assessments and silent read (daily 5)
- 11:00am: Technology enrichment: Read Naturally one minute iPad app, Sight words for Samson,
- 11:15am: Snack
- 11:30am: Parent pick-up/Shuttle to High School
Thursday – 11:00am will be progress monitoring per each student’s literacy portfolio on a weekly basis.